The ARCS Foundation was founded in 1958 by a group of energetic and prescient women in Los Angeles as part of America's effort to revitalize the science and technology infrastructure. The Los Angeles Chapter was followed by a chapter in Metro Washington ten years later, and then national expansion was begun in earnest in the 1970's when ARCS truly began to think of placing chapters in major cities across the country. In 1977, ARCS Foundation Los Angeles approached Judy Patterson and Jocelyn Stoller, two respected civic leaders, to become the founding members of the Chicago Chapter. Beatrice Schriesheim joined the Chicago Chapter in 1980 and raised awareness of the organization in Chicago's scientific community through her connections with Argonne National Laboratory and by implementing monthly member education programs. The first scholar awards were given by the Chicago Chapter in 1980. ARCS Foundation Chicago established an Endowment Fund in 2005 with funds donated by G. Patricia Beckman, Philanthropist, founder of ARCS Foundation Orange County, and good friend of ARCS Foundation Chicago.